50 years: The club's origins (7/12)

This year, Paris Saint-Germain celebrates it's 50th birthday and PSG.fr has decided to highlight 12 important dates in the club's foundation. Today we look at 31 July 1970.

A letter sent by both the French Football Federation and Paris Saint-Germain officially recognized the club's founding.

On 3 July 1970, the merger between the Stade Sangermanois and Paris Football Club was approved by the sports' highest authorities at the Federal Council of the French Football Federation in Lille.

/media/183094/31-juillet-1200-2.jpg

One last step remains: the agreement of the Parisian League, which is essential to enter Paris Saint-Germain in the next National Championship (the current Ligue 2).

On 31 July 1970, the FFF wrote a letter to the newly appointed general secretary of Paris Saint-Germain confirming the merger of the two separate entities.

The Stade Sangermanois, with Federation affiliation number 247, merged with the association Paris Football Club, which had been created on 13 December 1969 under number 24.169.

/media/183093/31-juillet-1200.jpeg

The new club, Paris Saint-Germain Football Club, retrieved the affiliation number of the Stade Sangermanois.

Today, the affiliation number with the French Football Federation has slightly changed and the reference number is now 500247.

50 years on, Paris Saint-Germain is now the most successful club in France.